In this post-Rebirth music game, it takes some serious cojones to release a record featuring Auto-Tuned singing over driving rock guitar. On their latest mixtape single, emcee-producer duo Moxie Black follow that risky recipe – and the result is… well… So Much Better. Over a dry and concise groove that could’ve come straight out of an early Strokes joint (courtesy of Dekk), rapper Illaj recounts the devastating emotional effects (and liquor-soaked aftermath) of seeing his girl at the spot with another fella. Though this story’s one we’ve all heard before (heck, some unlucky readers may even have experienced it firsthand), the tune itself is one of the catchiest I’ve heard in a minute, and those backing “da-da-da”s on the hook push it into “damned near irresistible” territory. What do you think, Booth readers? If you’ve become a fan, stay tuned; we’ll be bringing you another leaked cut and an exclusive “In the Mix” interview in the lead-up to the August 18, arrival of Moxie Black’s latest street album, the DJBooth-sponsored How Did This Happen?
Written by richard on 08/3/10
Submit your Rating
Spread Label/iLLa Baby
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Risky Bizness" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.