In 1983 teen comedy Risky Business, a younger and less crazy Tom Cruise plays a high school student who turns his family home into a brothel while his parents are away. Risky Bizness, the latest single from Portland duo Moxie Black, on the other hand… well, it doesn’t actually have much in common with the flick at all, besides the convergence of ‘80s nostalgia and hard-partying hedonism – then again, what else do you need? Dekk takes a considerably more pop-oriented tack than on Moxie Black’s Booth debut, So Much Better, blending electro synth riffs and handclap percussion as vocalist Illaj delivers artfully wasted, Auto-Tuned drenched bars and a catchy sung hook. The rapper/singer’s rhymes, which find him paying tribute to a hipster chick in “hi-top leather boots.” may not be Shakespeare, but the end product has a breezy vibe that fans of retro-informed party music will find it hard to resist. For more from these eclectically talented Northwesterners, grab a copy of their Booth-sponsored How Did This Happen LP when it hits our homepage for streaming and free download on August 18.
Written by richard on 08/11/10
Submit your Rating
Spread Label/iLLa Baby
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Much Better" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.