In 1983 teen comedy Risky Business, a younger and less crazy Tom Cruise plays a high school student who turns his family home into a brothel while his parents are away. Risky Bizness, the latest single from Portland duo Moxie Black, on the other hand… well, it doesn’t actually have much in common with the flick at all, besides the convergence of ‘80s nostalgia and hard-partying hedonism – then again, what else do you need? Dekk takes a considerably more pop-oriented tack than on Moxie Black’s Booth debut, So Much Better, blending electro synth riffs and handclap percussion as vocalist Illaj delivers artfully wasted, Auto-Tuned drenched bars and a catchy sung hook. The rapper/singer’s rhymes, which find him paying tribute to a hipster chick in “hi-top leather boots.” may not be Shakespeare, but the end product has a breezy vibe that fans of retro-informed party music will find it hard to resist. For more from these eclectically talented Northwesterners, grab a copy of their Booth-sponsored How Did This Happen LP when it hits our homepage for streaming and free download on August 18.
Written by richard on 08/11/10
Submit your Rating
Spread Label/iLLa Baby
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Much Better" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.