Time for a pop quiz: what do the late, great J Dilla and indie-rock veterans Death Cab for Cutie have in common? Until recently, the correct answer would have been “Nothing whatsoever,” but Moxie Black have changed that for good with their latest feature, Closer. The final leak off their forthcoming, Booth-sponsored full-length, this bonus track finds The Dust Will Settle temporarily replacing group member Dekk behind the boards, blending Dilla’s Time: The Donut of the Heart with elements of Death Cab’s Transatlanticism as vocalist Illa implores a woman to stay by his side so that they can “get [their] love back on track.” This record’s influences may be disparate, but there’s no denying its moody, intricately-layered appeal. If you’re digging this boundary-busting mash-up, you’ll be able to hear Closer and much more (including past features So Much Better and Risky Bizness) on Moxie Black’s How Did This Happen? street album, set to hit our mixtape page for streaming and free download this Wednesday, August 17.
Written by richard on 08/15/10
Submit your Rating
Spread Label/iLLa Baby
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Much Better" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.