Time for a pop quiz: what do the late, great J Dilla and indie-rock veterans Death Cab for Cutie have in common? Until recently, the correct answer would have been “Nothing whatsoever,” but Moxie Black have changed that for good with their latest feature, Closer. The final leak off their forthcoming, Booth-sponsored full-length, this bonus track finds The Dust Will Settle temporarily replacing group member Dekk behind the boards, blending Dilla’s Time: The Donut of the Heart with elements of Death Cab’s Transatlanticism as vocalist Illa implores a woman to stay by his side so that they can “get [their] love back on track.” This record’s influences may be disparate, but there’s no denying its moody, intricately-layered appeal. If you’re digging this boundary-busting mash-up, you’ll be able to hear Closer and much more (including past features So Much Better and Risky Bizness) on Moxie Black’s How Did This Happen? street album, set to hit our mixtape page for streaming and free download this Wednesday, August 17.
Written by richard on 08/15/10
Submit your Rating
Spread Label/iLLa Baby
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Much Better" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.