I have to admit, I was really excited when I saw this track. We’ve all heard the talk and rumors about another Black Star album in the works, but actually seeing Mos Def and Talib Kweli together once again is enough to make me turn my head and pay attention. On History, a track off the back end of Mos Def’s forthcoming The Ecstatic LP, the emcees reminisce about the historical events in the years around their birth and their short stint as Black Star, leaving hints that they are serious about recording a new album together. The track’s nostalgic vibe is further bolstered by excellent production from the late J Dilla, whose sampled jazz vocals and strings heighten the reflective mood. History probably won’t end up being a hit single (as of right now, it’s not being released as one), but this is still a worthy cut—if nothing else, take this as more reason to look forward to another Black Star album.
Written by Dr. D on 06/7/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rising Down (Hum Drum) ft. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.