I have to admit, I was really excited when I saw this track. We’ve all heard the talk and rumors about another Black Star album in the works, but actually seeing Mos Def and Talib Kweli together once again is enough to make me turn my head and pay attention. On History, a track off the back end of Mos Def’s forthcoming The Ecstatic LP, the emcees reminisce about the historical events in the years around their birth and their short stint as Black Star, leaving hints that they are serious about recording a new album together. The track’s nostalgic vibe is further bolstered by excellent production from the late J Dilla, whose sampled jazz vocals and strings heighten the reflective mood. History probably won’t end up being a hit single (as of right now, it’s not being released as one), but this is still a worthy cut—if nothing else, take this as more reason to look forward to another Black Star album.
Written by Dr. D on 06/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rising Down (Hum Drum) ft. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.