I have to admit, I was really excited when I saw this track. We’ve all heard the talk and rumors about another Black Star album in the works, but actually seeing Mos Def and Talib Kweli together once again is enough to make me turn my head and pay attention. On History, a track off the back end of Mos Def’s forthcoming The Ecstatic LP, the emcees reminisce about the historical events in the years around their birth and their short stint as Black Star, leaving hints that they are serious about recording a new album together. The track’s nostalgic vibe is further bolstered by excellent production from the late J Dilla, whose sampled jazz vocals and strings heighten the reflective mood. History probably won’t end up being a hit single (as of right now, it’s not being released as one), but this is still a worthy cut—if nothing else, take this as more reason to look forward to another Black Star album.
Written by Dr. D on 06/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rising Down (Hum Drum) ft. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.