Back in March, the official, Busta Rhymes and Raekwon-featuring remix of Melanie Fiona‘s Give It to Me Right offered solid proof of something I’d long suspected: namely, that the Zombies’ Time of the Season would make absolutely phenomenal material for a rap record. For the few who remain unconvinced, I present Exhibit B: on Connecticut duo Mook N Fair‘s latest single (and first Booth feature), beatsmith J. Stone borrows that summery groove, as well as the cut’s “Who’s Your Daddy?” vocal hook. Flaunting their bankrolls in hopes of tempting a female away from her not-so-loaded man, the recent Cinematic Music Group signees parlay those timeless lines into a danceable yet refreshingly mellow take on the ‘high-rolling club banger’ formula. Newly-added for the record’s single version, DJ Webstar complements the chilled-out vibe with some… hoarse, Lil’ Jon-style hype? To be honest, it sounds a little out of place, but that’s a minor (and kind of funny) misstep on a damned catchy cut. Who’s Your Daddy is set for inclusion on the twosome’s forthcoming The Secret’s Out LP, the details of which are TBA.
Written by richard on 06/3/09
Submit your Rating
GS Entertainment/Brooklyn Knights
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who's Your Daddy (West Coast Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.