Anyone who recalls their childhood should remember the story of Pinocchio. At the off chance you skipped over an adolescent upbringing, however, the tale is available in an enchanting musical form. On her latest single, Monkia Ashley takes the story of the growing-nosed wooden boy and carries it over to a failed relationship. Like most children’s stories, what makes this effort so powerful is its simplicity. Producer Trevor Trenor‘s minimalist, piano instrumental compliments Ashley but doesn’t get in the way, and as she stands in front of a white backdrop, the Dallas product wows listeners with a passionate vocal performance. There are no bells and whistles present, just Ashley showcasing her tremendous, captivating talent. Pinocchio is not part of anything larger, but be sure to check her last Booth feature, 2012’s In the Water.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/8/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.