According to certain, frankly crazy acquaintances of mine (who hopefully don’t happen to follow The DJBooth), the addition of flouride to drinking water by the government—ostensibly meant to promote health and prevent tooth decay—is actually part of a plot to lower Americans’ IQs, with an ultimate goal of transforming them into docile, subservient robots. (And don’t even get them started on chemtrails.) While I’ve always taken their theories with a massive grain of salt, rising R&B starlet Monika Ashley presents some compelling anecdotal evidence on her latest single and first Booth feature. Over Mel & Mus’ instrumental, a pounding, piano-driven arrangement that recalls Adele‘s Rolling in the Deep (see also the call-and-response chorus), the unsigned singer marvels at her naivete in hanging onto the possibility that an unfaithful man would change his ways. The only explanation for her uncharacteristic lack of good sense? “There must be something In the Water.” Whatever’s truly behind her regrettable decisions, the powerful vocal style Ashley showcases here is sure to win her the attention of pop-lovers in the Booth—as well as, we can only hope, label talent scouts. If you’re feeling it, more awaits on independent LP Problematique, scheduled for release July 10.
Written by richard on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.