According to certain, frankly crazy acquaintances of mine (who hopefully don’t happen to follow The DJBooth), the addition of flouride to drinking water by the government—ostensibly meant to promote health and prevent tooth decay—is actually part of a plot to lower Americans’ IQs, with an ultimate goal of transforming them into docile, subservient robots. (And don’t even get them started on chemtrails.) While I’ve always taken their theories with a massive grain of salt, rising R&B starlet Monika Ashley presents some compelling anecdotal evidence on her latest single and first Booth feature. Over Mel & Mus’ instrumental, a pounding, piano-driven arrangement that recalls Adele‘s Rolling in the Deep (see also the call-and-response chorus), the unsigned singer marvels at her naivete in hanging onto the possibility that an unfaithful man would change his ways. The only explanation for her uncharacteristic lack of good sense? “There must be something In the Water.” Whatever’s truly behind her regrettable decisions, the powerful vocal style Ashley showcases here is sure to win her the attention of pop-lovers in the Booth—as well as, we can only hope, label talent scouts. If you’re feeling it, more awaits on independent LP Problematique, scheduled for release July 10.
Written by richard on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.