According to certain, frankly crazy acquaintances of mine (who hopefully don’t happen to follow The DJBooth), the addition of flouride to drinking water by the government—ostensibly meant to promote health and prevent tooth decay—is actually part of a plot to lower Americans’ IQs, with an ultimate goal of transforming them into docile, subservient robots. (And don’t even get them started on chemtrails.) While I’ve always taken their theories with a massive grain of salt, rising R&B starlet Monika Ashley presents some compelling anecdotal evidence on her latest single and first Booth feature. Over Mel & Mus’ instrumental, a pounding, piano-driven arrangement that recalls Adele‘s Rolling in the Deep (see also the call-and-response chorus), the unsigned singer marvels at her naivete in hanging onto the possibility that an unfaithful man would change his ways. The only explanation for her uncharacteristic lack of good sense? “There must be something In the Water.” Whatever’s truly behind her regrettable decisions, the powerful vocal style Ashley showcases here is sure to win her the attention of pop-lovers in the Booth—as well as, we can only hope, label talent scouts. If you’re feeling it, more awaits on independent LP Problematique, scheduled for release July 10.
Written by richard on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.