Try as we might to maintain an attitude of gratitude, it’s all too easy to slide into taking a good thing for granted. As Joni Mitchell (or Counting Crows, for the younger set) memorably put it, “Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone?” Monica, however, is holding out hope that it doesn’t always have to be that way; on Until It’s Gone, the follow-up to album lead single Anything (To Find You), the soul songstress makes a valiant effort to wake her man up to the beauty of what he has, before he squanders the last shred of her goodwill. Penned by Booth-acclaimed singer songwriter Jazmine Sullivan, this heart-wrenching ballad finds heavyweight femcee Missy Elliott and co-producer Lamb once again working their magic behind the boards. Pairing reverb-drenched percussion with delicate piano chords, the collaborators craft an appropriately poignant backdrop for Monica’s soulful (and rather blunt) entreaties: “Wait a little while and you’re gon’ see / That this gon’ hurt you more than it hurt me.” Will this cut convince the man in question to smarten up and give Monica the love and affection she deserves? Hard to say. I do, however, predict an enthusiastic response from R&B-lovers in the Booth. If you’re digging it, then mark your calendar for the November 29 release of Monica’s seventh LP, New Life.
Written by richard on 09/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)