Take a Chance is about Monica’s attempt to return to R&B’s center stage, but it’s also about Wale’s emergence as a go-to rapper for R&B joints. For the still beautiful songstress’ new record, following her DJBooth-approved super collab It All Belongs to Me, Monica recruits producers Rico Love and Earl & E for an instrumental that’s thoroughly understated, fading into the background during the verses before rising into a layered affair for the chorus. Vocally, Monica is as smooth and steady as always, delivering an impassioned plea to her lover to take that leap and hope they land in love. As for the aforementioned Mr. Folarin, Wale delivers a commitment-phobic verses that promise his lady everything…except for a ring: “Got a past I’m ashamed of, past full of danger / I can give you everything, but the last name is sacred.” So how about it DJBooth Nation? Is Monica back to her winning ways? Has Wale emerged as a R&B/rap leading man? Either way, we’ll have plenty more to discuss when Monica’s It All Belongs to Me album drops this Tuesday, April 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.