Take a Chance is about Monica’s attempt to return to R&B’s center stage, but it’s also about Wale’s emergence as a go-to rapper for R&B joints. For the still beautiful songstress’ new record, following her DJBooth-approved super collab It All Belongs to Me, Monica recruits producers Rico Love and Earl & E for an instrumental that’s thoroughly understated, fading into the background during the verses before rising into a layered affair for the chorus. Vocally, Monica is as smooth and steady as always, delivering an impassioned plea to her lover to take that leap and hope they land in love. As for the aforementioned Mr. Folarin, Wale delivers a commitment-phobic verses that promise his lady everything…except for a ring: “Got a past I’m ashamed of, past full of danger / I can give you everything, but the last name is sacred.” So how about it DJBooth Nation? Is Monica back to her winning ways? Has Wale emerged as a R&B/rap leading man? Either way, we’ll have plenty more to discuss when Monica’s It All Belongs to Me album drops this Tuesday, April 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/4/12
As much as I hate to hint at out how depressingly old I am, I grew up with Monica. Or to be more accurate, with Monica’s music. Her first album Miss Thang, released when she was just 13 - I was just 11 and still wearing...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dozen Roses" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.