If you’re an ‘80s baby like me I guarantee you had the same reaction when you first saw that Monica’s new single also featured Brandy: “oh sh*t!!!” Allow me to explain to those under 20. Monica and Brandy’s previous effort, 1998’s The Boy Is Mine, was without exaggeration one of the biggest collabo R&B tracks of all-time. So yeah, It All Belongs to Me is kinda like a big deal. While Boy Is Mine found the superstars fighting over the attention of one very lucky guy, the years have brought the two singers together over a common bond; the vagaries of no good men. Written and produced by Rico Love, Belongs to Me is a deeply layered affair that gets the heart of its momentum from a sharp percussion line over a strong piano melody. It’s more than enough fuel for the dynamic duo to show that their vocal skills haven’t dimmed in the slightest as they deliver performances that are simultaneously forceful, intimidating and beautiful. In addition to some serious heartbreak, Brandy and Monica will also be sharing Belongs to Me. The single will be featured on both Monica’s New Life album, due out April 10, and Brandy’s yet-to-be-titled RCA/Chameleon debut, due out this spring.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.