Though Monica‘s sixth studio album won overwhelmingly positive feedback in the Booth when it dropped back in March, we haven’t heard a peep from the veteran soul songstress since. What better way then for her to remind us that she hasn’t gone anywhere than with an official remix of current single (and Booth-approved standout cut) Here I Am? Newly-added for this version of the Ester Dean-penned joint, Trey Songz steps into the role of the fella who fulfills the singer’s needs when her main man is off at the club. After lacing Polow Da Don‘s reverb-drenched instrumental with a little soulful call-and-response and some glittering harmonies, the collaborators crescendo to a climax featuring some of the most dazzling vocal pyrotechnics I’ve heard in… well, I can’t think of anything to compare it to right off the top, so it must have been a while. Have Monica and Trey succeeded in breathing new life into this cut? If you think so, you can hear more on the headliner’s Still Standing LP, as well as on Songz’ recently-released junior full-length, Passion, Pain & Pleasure.
Written by richard on 10/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.