What is it, 1998? First Brandy releases a comeback single, Right Here (Departed), and now her former The Boy Is Mine partner in crime, Monica, does the exact same thing. Still Standing is the Atlanta singer’s first release in over two years. Like Right Here (Departed), the track revels in its over-the-top poignancy, possibly marking a departure from the mushy R&B that made her so famous. Monica’s seen her fair share of hardships (including her boyfriend’s suicide and a bout with depression), and her emotions really come through on this one. Producer Bryan-Michael Cox, who has done extensive work with her before, contributes a beat filled with heavy synths and light piano, while guest Ludacris spits a quick 16. Still Standing will appear on her 6th studio album, also titled Still Standing, due for release later this year.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/18/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.