What is it, 1998? First Brandy releases a comeback single, Right Here (Departed), and now her former The Boy Is Mine partner in crime, Monica, does the exact same thing. Still Standing is the Atlanta singer’s first release in over two years. Like Right Here (Departed), the track revels in its over-the-top poignancy, possibly marking a departure from the mushy R&B that made her so famous. Monica’s seen her fair share of hardships (including her boyfriend’s suicide and a bout with depression), and her emotions really come through on this one. Producer Bryan-Michael Cox, who has done extensive work with her before, contributes a beat filled with heavy synths and light piano, while guest Ludacris spits a quick 16. Still Standing will appear on her 6th studio album, also titled Still Standing, due for release later this year.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/18/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.