While it seemed like the release of her successful album Still Standing would mark a comeback for Monica, the singer has been mostly quiet on the musical front since then. Does that make new single Anything (To Find You) a double comeback track? (You know, the song that marks her return to the spotlight after her last return?) Only time will tell, so in the here and now we’re simply left with a head nodding solid r&b jam. Speaking of head nodding, that old school tinged sound comes from Lamb and Missy Elliot, whose sample choice inspires Monica to kick off the festivities with a Mary J. Blige All I Need tribute. From there it’s onto a short but sweet Rick Ross verse, or as sweet as the Bawse gets, and a frankly flat contribution from Lil Kim, but it’s Monica’s emotional, expertly delivered vocals that elevate Anything. As always Booth Nation will have its say in the comments below, but if it were up to me this would be the single that earns Monica a title and a release date for her new upcoming project.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.