Mojoe might sound like something straight out of an Austin Powers movie, but this kind of “mojo” has far deeper roots in rap than psychedelia. In fact, San Antonio, Texas-based emcees, Easy Lee and T.R.R.E., make up the unique sound of Mojoe. Combining pure soul with club anthem elements, the duo provides a diverse range of sounds, a trait made quite evident on their new single, My Favorite Cut. A winding soul sample abruptly plummets into a head-bobbing, self-produced booty shaker. Dirty South rhymes about sexy ladies and champagne are thrown in with random old-school soul verses and the end result is an enjoyable jumble of urban sound. More than anything, the odd combination shows Mojoe’s myriad influences, which range from The Roots to Curtis Mayfield. The duo’s new album, Dirty Genes, is set for a fall release.
Written by Carly on 09/10/08
Submit your Rating
Straight Line Ent/Dirty Genes Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.