Mojoe might sound like something straight out of an Austin Powers movie, but this kind of “mojo” has far deeper roots in rap than psychedelia. In fact, San Antonio, Texas-based emcees, Easy Lee and T.R.R.E., make up the unique sound of Mojoe. Combining pure soul with club anthem elements, the duo provides a diverse range of sounds, a trait made quite evident on their new single, My Favorite Cut. A winding soul sample abruptly plummets into a head-bobbing, self-produced booty shaker. Dirty South rhymes about sexy ladies and champagne are thrown in with random old-school soul verses and the end result is an enjoyable jumble of urban sound. More than anything, the odd combination shows Mojoe’s myriad influences, which range from The Roots to Curtis Mayfield. The duo’s new album, Dirty Genes, is set for a fall release.
Written by Carly on 09/10/08
Straight Line Ent/Dirty Genes Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.