What inspired MNEK to put his own spin on Never Leave You (Uh Oooh, Uh Oooh), the 2003 debut single from singer/songwriter and emcee Lumidee? According to the 19-year-old London native (and DJBooth newcomer), he did it simply “for the LOLz.” But it’s hard to fault him for taking a less-than-serious attitude toward his work when the result is this dope. In contrast to the percussion-driven DJ Tedsmooth/Trendsetta beat that backed the original jam, MNEK crafts a chillier, synth-laced instrumental complete with a quirky chopped-vocal hook. His pipes are no less impressive than his prowess behind the boards. Laced with falsetto and accented by overdubbed harmonies, the Virgin/EMI signee’s vocal performance builds to an dazzling melismatic climax. This reimagining isn’t part of a larger set, but those who like what they’re hearing should stay tuned; I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from MNEK in the very near future…
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!