What inspired MNEK to put his own spin on Never Leave You (Uh Oooh, Uh Oooh), the 2003 debut single from singer/songwriter and emcee Lumidee? According to the 19-year-old London native (and DJBooth newcomer), he did it simply “for the LOLz.” But it’s hard to fault him for taking a less-than-serious attitude toward his work when the result is this dope. In contrast to the percussion-driven DJ Tedsmooth/Trendsetta beat that backed the original jam, MNEK crafts a chillier, synth-laced instrumental complete with a quirky chopped-vocal hook. His pipes are no less impressive than his prowess behind the boards. Laced with falsetto and accented by overdubbed harmonies, the Virgin/EMI signee’s vocal performance builds to an dazzling melismatic climax. This reimagining isn’t part of a larger set, but those who like what they’re hearing should stay tuned; I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from MNEK in the very near future…
Written by richard on 01/8/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.