Whether you were raised in a gated community or an inner-city ‘hood, it’s tough not to look back with nostalgia on your younger days. Of course, that doesn’t mean you need to view your past through rose-colored glasses. On newly-leaked album cut Remember the Days, making its world premiere in the Booth, MMA takes a page from Back in the Day emcee Ahmad‘s book, reminiscing about his ghetto childhood without understating the dangers and struggles of life in the ghetto. Kooley High member Foolery handles production, flipping The Stylistics’ classic You’re a Big Girl Now into a soulful backdrop for the N.C. spitter’s reflections on the distance he’s come from his humble beginnings. Assisting on the guest tip, Booth newcomer Shin B discusses her own climb from the bottom in an ambitious middle 16, and reader fave Emilio Rojas takes us back to his college years in verse three, revisiting his feelings of alienation from his privileged peers. Digging this bass-bumping trip down Memory Lane? Then be sure to cop MMA’s latest album, Everlasting Life, when it drops on December 28.
Written by richard on 12/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'll Be Good" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.