Typically, when an artist gives a record a title like “Classic,” they’re loftily (or hopefully) implying that listeners will still be bumping their tunes in decades’ time. In the case of MKTO‘s latest single and DJBooth debut, the truth is less presumptuous: far from placing themselves in the pantheon of musical legends, the record simply reflects the Columbia Records signees’ nostalgia for hit records of the past, and their determination to do their musical forebears proud. Over Emanuel Kiriakou and Evan Bogart‘s era-bridging boardwork, which cleverly references Wilton Felder’s classic I Want You Back bassline, vocalists Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller pledge allegiance to the soul and pop greats: ”I wanna do you like Michael, I wanna Kiss you like Prince / Let’s it on like Marvin Gaye, like Hathaway…” An unknown director’s official visuals round out the package. Feeling this wistfully catchy selection? Then keep it locked for the latest on MKTO’s major-label debut set, which as yet lacks a title and drop date.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.