Typically, when an artist gives a record a title like “Classic,” they’re loftily (or hopefully) implying that listeners will still be bumping their tunes in decades’ time. In the case of MKTO‘s latest single and DJBooth debut, the truth is less presumptuous: far from placing themselves in the pantheon of musical legends, the record simply reflects the Columbia Records signees’ nostalgia for hit records of the past, and their determination to do their musical forebears proud. Over Emanuel Kiriakou and Evan Bogart‘s era-bridging boardwork, which cleverly references Wilton Felder’s classic I Want You Back bassline, vocalists Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller pledge allegiance to the soul and pop greats: ”I wanna do you like Michael, I wanna Kiss you like Prince / Let’s it on like Marvin Gaye, like Hathaway…” An unknown director’s official visuals round out the package. Feeling this wistfully catchy selection? Then keep it locked for the latest on MKTO’s major-label debut set, which as yet lacks a title and drop date.
Written by richard on 06/21/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)