Typically, when an artist gives a record a title like “Classic,” they’re loftily (or hopefully) implying that listeners will still be bumping their tunes in decades’ time. In the case of MKTO‘s latest single and DJBooth debut, the truth is less presumptuous: far from placing themselves in the pantheon of musical legends, the record simply reflects the Columbia Records signees’ nostalgia for hit records of the past, and their determination to do their musical forebears proud. Over Emanuel Kiriakou and Evan Bogart‘s era-bridging boardwork, which cleverly references Wilton Felder’s classic I Want You Back bassline, vocalists Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller pledge allegiance to the soul and pop greats: ”I wanna do you like Michael, I wanna Kiss you like Prince / Let’s it on like Marvin Gaye, like Hathaway…” An unknown director’s official visuals round out the package. Feeling this wistfully catchy selection? Then keep it locked for the latest on MKTO’s major-label debut set, which as yet lacks a title and drop date.
Written by richard on 06/21/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.