Typically, when an artist gives a record a title like “Classic,” they’re loftily (or hopefully) implying that listeners will still be bumping their tunes in decades’ time. In the case of MKTO‘s latest single and DJBooth debut, the truth is less presumptuous: far from placing themselves in the pantheon of musical legends, the record simply reflects the Columbia Records signees’ nostalgia for hit records of the past, and their determination to do their musical forebears proud. Over Emanuel Kiriakou and Evan Bogart‘s era-bridging boardwork, which cleverly references Wilton Felder’s classic I Want You Back bassline, vocalists Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller pledge allegiance to the soul and pop greats: ”I wanna do you like Michael, I wanna Kiss you like Prince / Let’s it on like Marvin Gaye, like Hathaway…” An unknown director’s official visuals round out the package. Feeling this wistfully catchy selection? Then keep it locked for the latest on MKTO’s major-label debut set, which as yet lacks a title and drop date.
Written by richard on 06/21/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.