Like Voltron, relentlessly dope L.A. rap crew Strong Arm Steady is a powerful force when joined together, but individually SAS’s individual components can also inflict damage. Case in point, Mitchy Slick, a high-caliber rhymer who’s making his solo debut on the Booth today with new motivational leak Spread My Wings. We’ll get to the mic work in a moment, but I’ve got a feeling a lot of responders with bring up the production, which finds Tha Bizness giving Spread a distinctly mid-90s, from the opening vocals to the light synth lines. Does it work? I’m frankly not sure, especially when Mitchy lays down such deeply street and lyrically honest lyrics. Those sentiments are echoed by Blacksmith boss Talib Kweli on a solid-as-concrete guest verse (ah, those Whole Food gangsters), but I still just can’t make up my mind on this one, so I’m gonna need the Booth to guide me. Have at it people. Following 1st Time, Wings is the second offering from The Year of the Blacksmith Community Mixtape, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Things Ain't Change" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.