Sometimes, you get sick of heady concepts and lyrical pyrotechnics, and you just want to listen to a catchy Pop song. If you’re having one of those days, you may want to hit the “back” button; despite what its title might suggest, the latest joint promo single from rap duo MindsOne and producer Kev Brown (their Booth debut as collaborators) is about as far as you can get from bubblegum. Brown’s boom-bap flavored beat, peppered with old-school cuts by DJ Noumenon, sets the mood as partners-in-rhyme KON Sci and Tronic share tightly-wound reflections on consumerism, anti-intellectualism, racial discrimination and more. NYC underground mainstay Homeboy Sandman turns in a similarly sophisticated performance on the guest tip. Craving more? You’ll find what you seek on the headliners’ forthcoming
album 14-track EP, Pillars, released yesterday to record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Lo Phi Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Code of Ethics" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.