For those of you who don’t parle francaise like me, Au Revior is French for “How much is this hat?”. Wait, hold on…my high school French teacher is calling to tell me that “au revior” actually means “goodbye”, and is reminding me that I failed French class. Well then, the title of Milli Mars’ new record makes much more sense. For his debut on The DJBooth, the San Antonio, Texas emcee recruits producer whizKIDDA for a beat that’s both a street banger and experimental odyssey, layering sharp percussion and dark piano stabs over what sound like snippets of Bollywood vocals. For his part Mars lays down straight and steady rhymes on the mic, promising his foes that he’ll be catching them in the rearview mirror soon: “You want that, it’s all me / white chicks in the hood, black chicks on Harleys.” While this noteworthy offering isn’t attached to a larger project, fans of Milli and bilingual hip-hop can keep it locked to The DJBooth for both a SXSW feature with Mars and Au Revior’s visual counterpart, both coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/1/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.