They don’t call ‘em formative years for nothing. Along with genes, an individual’s childhood environment and early family life are the biggest factors in defining his or her identity – and, needless to say, kids who grow up surrounded by poverty, violence and drugs, especially those with one or both parents absent, are at the highest risk of becoming involved in criminal activities themselves. On Story Untold, the first official leak off his forthcoming mix-album, Chi-town buzzmaker Mikkey Halsted steps into the role of a prison inmate chronicling his descent into the street life in a letter to his 13-year-old son, hoping to steer him away from repeating his father’s mistakes. Accompanied by Keyz’ tension-fraught synth arpeggios and booming bass, Halsted showcases his skills as a storyteller, spitting a vivid description of a tragic but all-too-believable scenario. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of up-and-coming R&B singer Ayana, this cut offers plenty of food for thought, but no easy answers. Fans can find Story Untold and much more on The Last Shall Be First, set to hit the ‘net sometime in November.
Written by richard on 10/6/09
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.