They don’t call ‘em formative years for nothing. Along with genes, an individual’s childhood environment and early family life are the biggest factors in defining his or her identity – and, needless to say, kids who grow up surrounded by poverty, violence and drugs, especially those with one or both parents absent, are at the highest risk of becoming involved in criminal activities themselves. On Story Untold, the first official leak off his forthcoming mix-album, Chi-town buzzmaker Mikkey Halsted steps into the role of a prison inmate chronicling his descent into the street life in a letter to his 13-year-old son, hoping to steer him away from repeating his father’s mistakes. Accompanied by Keyz’ tension-fraught synth arpeggios and booming bass, Halsted showcases his skills as a storyteller, spitting a vivid description of a tragic but all-too-believable scenario. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of up-and-coming R&B singer Ayana, this cut offers plenty of food for thought, but no easy answers. Fans can find Story Untold and much more on The Last Shall Be First, set to hit the ‘net sometime in November.
Written by richard on 10/6/09
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.