They don’t call ‘em formative years for nothing. Along with genes, an individual’s childhood environment and early family life are the biggest factors in defining his or her identity – and, needless to say, kids who grow up surrounded by poverty, violence and drugs, especially those with one or both parents absent, are at the highest risk of becoming involved in criminal activities themselves. On Story Untold, the first official leak off his forthcoming mix-album, Chi-town buzzmaker Mikkey Halsted steps into the role of a prison inmate chronicling his descent into the street life in a letter to his 13-year-old son, hoping to steer him away from repeating his father’s mistakes. Accompanied by Keyz’ tension-fraught synth arpeggios and booming bass, Halsted showcases his skills as a storyteller, spitting a vivid description of a tragic but all-too-believable scenario. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of up-and-coming R&B singer Ayana, this cut offers plenty of food for thought, but no easy answers. Fans can find Story Untold and much more on The Last Shall Be First, set to hit the ‘net sometime in November.
Listen to More: Mikkey Halsted
Written by richard on 10/6/09
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.