With the release of his DJBooth-sponsored Best You Never Heard mixtape, underground mainstay Mikkey Halsted intends to bring the uninitiated up to speed on what he’s all about. Lesson one in the Windy City emcee’s crash course comes in the form of inaugural leak I’m the Man, which finds Halsted emphasizing the fact that well, he’s the man – and, consequently, you’re not. Accompanied by producer SC‘s subdued blend of chopped vocal samples and harpsichord (looks like the harpsichord comeback I predicted over on RefinedHype is already underway!), Halsted backs up his assertion, delivering bars brimming with heavily-alliterated braggadocio: “N*ggas took exception when I called myself sire, but they sat back and watched me set the city on fire.” On the middle and final verses, fellow Chi-town natives Sly Polaroid (previously heard on Ben One‘s Never Leave My Side (Remix)) and Cloak Hancock step up to the mic, each making a convincing case for his own status as “The Man.” For more “hard sh*t” from Mikkey and his cohorts, download a copy of BYNH when it hits the Booth this Thursday.
Written by richard on 02/7/10
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.