With four features under his belt, Mikkey Halsted hardly needs any introduction in the Booth—for many members of the listening public, though, this record (the lead single off the rapper’s forthcoming The Last Will Be First EP) will be their first encounter with the Chi-town up-and-comer. Thus, Halsted takes the track as an opportunity to say Hello to his soon-to-be fans, and let them know what he’s all about. Don Cannon‘s bombastic, brass-heavy instrumental provides Halsted with one titanic soapbox, and the emcee takes full advantage of that fact—attacking the beat with aggressive energy, Mikkey serves up three verses of ambitious Windy City-repping braggadocio laced with a little political commentary (that controversial No Christmas freestyle even gets a name-drop early on). Hello is unlikely to convince Halsted’s haters to say “Goodbye,” but it’s sure to raise fan anticipation for The Last Will Be First (and perhaps help secure the EP a solid release date).
Listen to More: Mikkey Halsted
Written by richard on 05/21/09
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.