With four features under his belt, Mikkey Halsted hardly needs any introduction in the Booth—for many members of the listening public, though, this record (the lead single off the rapper’s forthcoming The Last Will Be First EP) will be their first encounter with the Chi-town up-and-comer. Thus, Halsted takes the track as an opportunity to say Hello to his soon-to-be fans, and let them know what he’s all about. Don Cannon‘s bombastic, brass-heavy instrumental provides Halsted with one titanic soapbox, and the emcee takes full advantage of that fact—attacking the beat with aggressive energy, Mikkey serves up three verses of ambitious Windy City-repping braggadocio laced with a little political commentary (that controversial No Christmas freestyle even gets a name-drop early on). Hello is unlikely to convince Halsted’s haters to say “Goodbye,” but it’s sure to raise fan anticipation for The Last Will Be First (and perhaps help secure the EP a solid release date).
Written by richard on 05/21/09
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)