With four features under his belt, Mikkey Halsted hardly needs any introduction in the Booth—for many members of the listening public, though, this record (the lead single off the rapper’s forthcoming The Last Will Be First EP) will be their first encounter with the Chi-town up-and-comer. Thus, Halsted takes the track as an opportunity to say Hello to his soon-to-be fans, and let them know what he’s all about. Don Cannon‘s bombastic, brass-heavy instrumental provides Halsted with one titanic soapbox, and the emcee takes full advantage of that fact—attacking the beat with aggressive energy, Mikkey serves up three verses of ambitious Windy City-repping braggadocio laced with a little political commentary (that controversial No Christmas freestyle even gets a name-drop early on). Hello is unlikely to convince Halsted’s haters to say “Goodbye,” but it’s sure to raise fan anticipation for The Last Will Be First (and perhaps help secure the EP a solid release date).
Written by richard on 05/21/09
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.