Trayvon Martin was only the beginning. Ever since the Florida 17-year-old’s death became national news, hardly a day seems to go by without another story of cold-blooded murder—many of them racially-motivated—making its way through the news media. In Chicago alone, during the first “warm” weekend, there were 37 shootings, one killing a six-year-old named Aliyah Shell. In honor of all the above, as well as two of his own cousins whose lives were lost last summer, Mikkey Halsted has come together with Lupe Fiasco to create Gone, a new promo single dedicated to all affected by gun violence. David D.A. Doman handles production duties, layering pensive guitar licks over an understated yet driving percussion rhythm as the emcees showcase their knack for lyrical narrative, powerfully evoking the panic that ensues when shots ring out in the ‘hood, and the feelings of grief and hopelessness that plague friends and family of murder victims. Complete with a mournful hook by singer Jim Lavigne, this moody yet cathartic cut is not attached to as forthcoming project, but it’ll undoubtedly accomplish Halsted’s stated goal of getting listeners thinking about actions that can be taken to end the violence plaguing our inner-city streets. Share your thoughts below—and of course, keep your browsers locked for more new music from all involved.
Written by richard on 04/4/12
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.