The history of Chicago is the history of overcoming difficulty to achieve greatness. The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 burned the city to the ground, but from those ashes it emerged as one of the greatest cities in the U.S., and Chi-Town emcee Mikkey Halsted’s career echoes his native city’s history. Previously signed to Cash Money and Virgin Records at various times, Mikkey is now continuing to build his career with his own two hands on new single First Class. With quick, snapping drums and eerie strings courtesy of aptly-named producer Prolyfic, Mikkey lets his boast-filled verses fly high, letting his competitors know that he’s simply on a different level, or better yet, being served champagne in First Class while the rest are scavenging for peanuts back in coach: “Mikkey’s getting a massage…you’re in between two fat dudes and they won’t even give you a pillow.” Halsted will come one step closer in his quest to truly join Chicago’s elite hip-hop ranks when his upcoming album DarkRoom drops October 26. Will you be on flying with him on First Class?
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/19/10
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.