Sometimes a song’s title tells you everything you need to know. For example, Mikkey Halsted‘s new single is called The Exorcist, and even a brief listen will easily reveal why. With a frightening organ solo that gives you an instantly eerie feeling, the song starts out like a mix of soundtracks from the Rocky Horror Picture Show and, well, The Exorcist. However, when producer No I.D‘s chopped up organ notes are introduced alongside a banging drum beat, it all comes together dopely. On the mic, with his vivid imagery and lyricism, you can almost picture the rap game being a possessed little girl, and Mikkey coming in to save her soul. But the Chicago vet doesn’t do this with prayers, but with a smooth flow mixed with raw lyrics and sharp punchlines. If Mikkey keeps dropping records like this as he prepares for the release of his DarkRoom LP, set to drop in December, than let me be the first to reserve my copy. With Mickey as the exorcist and the DarkRoom as his Bible, maybe we can finally chase away all of hip-hop’s demons after all.
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Chi Sh*t" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.