With the way Chicago’s South Side has churned out rappers in the last decade, including Kanye, Common, and Rhymefest, it must be confusing itself with New York or L.A. For the sake of hip-hop, I vote that we let it stay confused. The newest emcee from the Windy City is Mikkey Halsted, a former Kanye protégé with an unmatched passion for his hometown. Chi Sh*t, a track from his debut album, Chicago: The Photo Album, is all about why his city is better than yours. If you take a look at the industry today, can you really argue with him? Helping him out on the beat is fellow South Sider No I.D. Halsted may not be the next big thing, but you’ve got to admire his Chi-town pride. Run for your headphones, world; the Midwest has officially blown up.
Written by Charlie E. on 06/12/08
Submit your Rating
Uncrowned City/Rich Kidz Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Christmas (Freestyle)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.