Most of us could name at least one musician whose work helped to shape the person we would become, but it’s not every day an artist has his or her life changed by a fan. That, however, is exactly what happened to Mike Stud following a show last fall, when he made the acquaintance of a 19-year-old girl struggling with clinical depression. After being forwarded a blog post by the same fan stating that seeing him live had given her the motivation to keep going, he was inspired to send her a message of support, which sparked a correspondence that continues to this day. On new single Past Gone, the Rhode Island emcee reflects on what he’s learned from their conversations, and reaches out to listeners who may be dealing with similar issues. Producers Judge & Swede provide a keyboard-driven beat to complement his rhymes, and Swaggernaut Productions’ Ben links up with Jon Kilmer to direct the official visuals. For Past Gone and much more, check out Mike Stud’s RELIEF street album when it drops digitally on Monday, May 6.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.