What is the title of Mike Schpitz’ new Alex Alicea-directed video premiere, Looking Glass, a reference to? Maybe it’s a shout out to Through the Looking Glass, the sequel to Alice in Wonderland. Or maybe it’s a nod to ‘70s pop group Looking Glass. Or maybe it just happened to rhyme with “ass” and sounded dope? Whatever the reason, one things for sure: that Slot-A beat is a guaranteed head-nodder. Filled with sharp snares and propulsive synths, Glass’ instrumental demands some aggressive flows and Schpitz is happy to oblige. In trademark fashion the Kansas emcee alternates between pure aggression and laugh out loud lines, somehow managing to work in both the size of his Merril Lynch-esque bank account and a Rebecca Romijn related fantasy: “Seven days in my bed like Rebecca Romijn / the only thing on her mind is my head and my brain.” Those suddenly finding themselves on the lookout for more new music from Schpitz and Slot-A can look forward to their Have You Seen My Stapler? album, which I know is an Office Space reference.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/25/12
Submit your Rating
The Prize Package
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Get Up (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.