Mike Schpitz doesn’t harbor any illusions about his mortality. Like all of us, the Kansas City-born, Chicago-based rhymesayer is gonna get fitted for his Halo sooner or later. While he’s still on this earth, though, he’s doing all that he can to ensure his children are safe, while preparing them for the uncertain years ahead. On his latest promo single, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Schpitz reflects uneasily on the violence and strife that currently plague the Windy City streets, before switching gears to offer a stylized lyrical account of his hustle. ThatKidMyself, Mike’s former classmate at the University of Kansas, provides a jazzy, mid-tempo backdrop for his rhymes. This contemplative cut isn’t attached to a larger project, but those feeling it can, of course, watch our pages for all the latest from the Midwestern buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 10/8/13
Submit your Rating
The Prize Package
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Get Up (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.