Mike Schpitz doesn’t harbor any illusions about his mortality. Like all of us, the Kansas City-born, Chicago-based rhymesayer is gonna get fitted for his Halo sooner or later. While he’s still on this earth, though, he’s doing all that he can to ensure his children are safe, while preparing them for the uncertain years ahead. On his latest promo single, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Schpitz reflects uneasily on the violence and strife that currently plague the Windy City streets, before switching gears to offer a stylized lyrical account of his hustle. ThatKidMyself, Mike’s former classmate at the University of Kansas, provides a jazzy, mid-tempo backdrop for his rhymes. This contemplative cut isn’t attached to a larger project, but those feeling it can, of course, watch our pages for all the latest from the Midwestern buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 10/8/13
Submit your Rating
The Prize Package
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Get Up (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.