“If you’re going to do something, Do It Right.” It’s one of those axioms that we’ve all heard too many times to count, but how many of us can truthfully say we put forth a full-assed (as opposed to half- or quarter-assed) effort every time? Kansan emcee Mike Schpitz is one of the few who can answer in the affirmative – whether he’s gettin’ money or Going for Broke, the freestyle alum invariably gives it his all, and the latest leak off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored mixtape continues that standard of excellence. Making its world premiere on our front page, this cut finds beatsmith Slot-A serving up a tweaked version of Madlib‘s break-driven Stormy instrumental (off Shades of Blue) as Mike drops rhymes as complex as they are swagger-drenched: “We’re role models for b*tches who swallow gold bottles, load me and Slot in Serato and turn it full throttle.” In addition to handling the beat, Slot guests on the front, blessing our eardrums with a verse penned during a particularly productive bathroom session. It’s not hard to see why Schpitz himself considers this joint a favorite – but even so, it’s only the beginning of the freshness in store on The Prize Package Volume 2, due out March 30.
Written by richard on 03/22/11
Submit your Rating
The Prize Package
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Get Up (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.