In many ways, artists can be compared to gemstones – most are multifaceted, come in various sizes, cuts, colors, and weights, and shine brilliantly the closer you hold them to the (lime)light. Mike Posner is one such treasure, and from Cooler Than Me to his most recent Booth feature Please Don’t Go, we’ve seen the electro-pop prince from quite a few angles. However, his newest offering, Bow Chicka Wow Wow, as the title might suggest, shows Mikey Mike in a completely different light – the red light. Bruno Mars and The Smeezingtons deliver some mellow guitar chords and playfully seductive piano to set the mood, but in spite of the production’s closeness to perfection, Mike’s attempt at establishing himself as a contender for reigning pop sex symbol comes off as an almost cartoonish three minute long pick-up line. Above-par, breathlessly raspy vocals are typical Mike, but there’s something about his image that makes this song incompatible with true bedroom burner status. Or is it just me? Regardless, Posner’s debut album, 31 Minutes to Takeoff, takes flight August 10.
Written by Matty K on 07/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.