In many ways, artists can be compared to gemstones – most are multifaceted, come in various sizes, cuts, colors, and weights, and shine brilliantly the closer you hold them to the (lime)light. Mike Posner is one such treasure, and from Cooler Than Me to his most recent Booth feature Please Don’t Go, we’ve seen the electro-pop prince from quite a few angles. However, his newest offering, Bow Chicka Wow Wow, as the title might suggest, shows Mikey Mike in a completely different light – the red light. Bruno Mars and The Smeezingtons deliver some mellow guitar chords and playfully seductive piano to set the mood, but in spite of the production’s closeness to perfection, Mike’s attempt at establishing himself as a contender for reigning pop sex symbol comes off as an almost cartoonish three minute long pick-up line. Above-par, breathlessly raspy vocals are typical Mike, but there’s something about his image that makes this song incompatible with true bedroom burner status. Or is it just me? Regardless, Posner’s debut album, 31 Minutes to Takeoff, takes flight August 10.
Written by Matty K on 07/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.