After four years, numerous cuts, a title trimming, and three official singles, the release of Mike Jones’ sophomore album, The Voice, is finally on the horizon. Since Jones has stated many times that he’s aiming to match the double-platinum success of Who Is Mike Jones? with his latest LP, it’s easy to see why, on the all-important ‘single before the album,’ he sticks to his time-tested formula. In the relatively successful, female-oriented tradition of Drop & Gimme 50, Cuddy Buddy, and Next To You, the record finds him joining forces with an uncredited hook singer to praise a woman who’s got Swag Thru The Roof. Complete with a synth-heavy beat by Swole and a generous helping of his trademark “Mike Jones! Who?” and “(281)-206-4336!” (new number, same concept) ad libs, STDR showcases the same old Mike Jones, love him or hate him. If you’re in the ‘love him’ category, make sure you pick up The Voice when it drops April 28th.
Written by Burmy on 04/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mr. Jones" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.