Ever-grinding up-and-comer Mike Dreams may have a long and arduous journey ahead of him, but doubters who think they can break his stride are in for a rude awakening – as he explains on leak numero dos off his sophomore set, “I ain’t gonna wait for ‘em, I’ll just Wave to ‘Em.” Making its world premiere here in the Booth, this joint finds my Minneapolis neighbor trading the ambivalence of lead single Any Day Now for nose-to-the-grindstone determination. Over the wistful, soul-sampled boardwork of Twin Cities-bred production duo K-Salaam & Beatnick, the freestyle series alumnus reaffirms his intent to succeed in the game without compromising his vision, along the way showing off his finely-honed punchline game: “ I plan well – labels better play their hands well, or you can tell ‘em that it’s No Deal… Howie Mandel.” Complete with hook/backing vocals by Toyebi Adedipe and the kids of the Northside Minne-ap YMCA’s Beacon Program (which Mike is a part of), this joint and much more will be found on Dreams’ DJBooth.net/FlüD Watches-presented Just Waking Up LP, which hits our mixtape page for free streaming and download Oct. 14.
Written by richard on 10/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.