Mike Dreams is no stranger to the allure of the spotlight - in fact, his desire to make it to the big leagues has been the central theme of his output to date - but that doesn’t mean he’s unaware of the pitfalls of chasing fame and fortune. On The Lights, the Life, world premiere numero dos off his forthcoming junior set, the Minneapolis-repping Booth fave (and freestyle series alumnus) uses the story of a wannabe actress as a springboard for reflections on the dark side of the fast life. Dreams’ collaborator on In the Sky, Any Day Now and So Long, Jimmy Easy reprises his role behind the boards, fortifying a catchy vocal sample (I know I’ve heard those ‘Bop-bop‘s somewhere before.. anyone ID the source for me?) with simmering synths as the emcee illustrates what can happen when you pursue a pipe dream without a plan B (or even a GED). The moral of the story? “You can chase those lights, you can chase that life, but just don’t let that take you out.” While Millennial has yet to receive a drop date, those digging this cautionary banger can still stream and download the emcee’s first two albums, Dreamer’s Poetry and Just Waking Up, for free in the Booth.
Written by richard on 03/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.