Triumph over adversity has been a constant theme of Mike Dreams’ work; from soul-sucking day jobs to the slings and arrows of the haters, he’s weathered numerous storms throughout his lengthy history of Booth features. As it turns out, though, the Twin Cities spitter hadn’t even touched upon some of his most profound life struggles to date. On new single Still Standing Here, making its world premiere right here on our front page, the freestyle series alum digs deeper than ever before. Backed by the choral synths and quietly-determined piano chords of DJ Corbett (the beatsmith behind Saigon‘s Bring Me Down (Part 2)), Mike looks back on an experience that led to a fundamental shift in his worldview: “Somebody told me that life ain’t fair, and I swear I ain’t believe ‘em till I sat right there / in that courtroom chair, starin’ at my brother’s killer as the judge went and only gave him 13 years.” Even with so much anger in his heart, however, he took the experience as a test of his ability to forgive, and emerged stronger for it. Complete with a powerful hook by We’ll Be Alright collaborator Ashley Dubose, Standing is just one of many inspiring cuts to be found on Dreams’ junior album, Millennial. Keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled project, as well as ll the latest tunes.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Mike Dreams’ Ben Hughes-directed Still Standing Here visual.
Written by richard on 08/11/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.