Fresh off his switch from “Young Son” to the more mature (and distinctive) moniker Mike Dreams, Minne-ap up-and-comer Michael Hannah brings his trademark upbeat touch to the topic of hater-dom on single number three off his long-awaited sophomore full-length. After a deceptively low-key intro, Gettin’ Ours kicks into high gear – Teddy Roxpin, the beatsmith who worked his magic on This Far, takes a similar approach here, delivering an infectious, Chipmunk-sampled groove with a dash of rock ‘n’ roll energy. Dreams keeps things civil as he addresses his doubters, but his unfailingly polite rhymes hit home with the force of a dozen profanity-laced tirades – packed with motivational wisdom and clever wordplay (“Like a shepherd with his sheep, you better act like you herd/heard.”), his confident verses should leave the critics with little to say. One of the catchiest cuts we’ve heard from the artist to date, Gettin’ Ours will undoubtedly get the opposite of hate in the Booth, Dreamer’s Poetry has yet to receive a solid release date, but fans should keep it locked to our frontpage for all the latest!
Written by richard on 09/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.