Contrary to what many of his previous features might suggest, Mike Dreams doesn’t spend his every waking moment hustling his way to rap stardom. On Everything Is Good, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his forthcoming junior album, we catch the Minneapolis rhymesayer (and freestyle series alum) on one of his rare evenings off. Producer G Mo establishes a mellow, headphone-ready vibe on the production tip, serving up a keyboard-driven groove accented with old-school cuts from DJ Advance, and Dreams comes with laid-back bars to match. Though he claims to be “feelin’ like the Diddy of [his] town,” the artist nonetheless keeps it refreshingly real, admitting: “You know how they say you ain’t trickin’ if you got it? / Well tonight I guess you can say I’m trickin’ to be honest.” Frequent collaborator Christina Fisher (We Goin’ Worldwide, Feelin’ Out This World) assists on the guest tip, providing atmospheric backing vocals as well as an airy chorus. The perfect soundtrack for the breezy summer nights that lie ahead, this is just one of many fresh, ear-pleasing cuts to be found on the artist’s DJBooth-hosted Millennial LP, set for release August 7.
Written by richard on 07/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.