Contrary to what many of his previous features might suggest, Mike Dreams doesn’t spend his every waking moment hustling his way to rap stardom. On Everything Is Good, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his forthcoming junior album, we catch the Minneapolis rhymesayer (and freestyle series alum) on one of his rare evenings off. Producer G Mo establishes a mellow, headphone-ready vibe on the production tip, serving up a keyboard-driven groove accented with old-school cuts from DJ Advance, and Dreams comes with laid-back bars to match. Though he claims to be “feelin’ like the Diddy of [his] town,” the artist nonetheless keeps it refreshingly real, admitting: “You know how they say you ain’t trickin’ if you got it? / Well tonight I guess you can say I’m trickin’ to be honest.” Frequent collaborator Christina Fisher (We Goin’ Worldwide, Feelin’ Out This World) assists on the guest tip, providing atmospheric backing vocals as well as an airy chorus. The perfect soundtrack for the breezy summer nights that lie ahead, this is just one of many fresh, ear-pleasing cuts to be found on the artist’s DJBooth-hosted Millennial LP, set for release August 7.
Written by richard on 07/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.