Contrary to what many of his previous features might suggest, Mike Dreams doesn’t spend his every waking moment hustling his way to rap stardom. On Everything Is Good, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his forthcoming junior album, we catch the Minneapolis rhymesayer (and freestyle series alum) on one of his rare evenings off. Producer G Mo establishes a mellow, headphone-ready vibe on the production tip, serving up a keyboard-driven groove accented with old-school cuts from DJ Advance, and Dreams comes with laid-back bars to match. Though he claims to be “feelin’ like the Diddy of [his] town,” the artist nonetheless keeps it refreshingly real, admitting: “You know how they say you ain’t trickin’ if you got it? / Well tonight I guess you can say I’m trickin’ to be honest.” Frequent collaborator Christina Fisher (We Goin’ Worldwide, Feelin’ Out This World) assists on the guest tip, providing atmospheric backing vocals as well as an airy chorus. The perfect soundtrack for the breezy summer nights that lie ahead, this is just one of many fresh, ear-pleasing cuts to be found on the artist’s DJBooth-hosted Millennial LP, set for release August 7.
Written by richard on 07/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.