As important as it is to follow one’s dreams, those who chase after lofty goals while turning a blind eye to the here-and-now are bound to pay the price. Having reached a milestone in his musical career with the February release of his Dreamer’s Poetry LP, a project which found the Minne-ap emcee focused on his undeniably bright future, Mike Dreams takes a moment to reappraise his present position on How to Make It in America, the inaugural leak off his next street release. Here, DJ Shynin serves up a piano-loop instrumental with a fittingly stripped-down vibe as the up-and-comer (and exclusive freestyle series alum) takes a look at his priorities, acknowledging the paper chase as a necessary evil and resolving to balance school with his artistic grind. Though Dreams has tempered his head-in-the-clouds idealism with a dose of gritty reality, his lyrical reflections remain as compelling as ever. For more new tunes from a variety of rising stars, check out YNotMyDream and REUP Spot‘s After This, Shut Up! mixtape when it drops on the 30th.
Written by richard on 04/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.