Mike Beatz’ last Booth feature depicted him in a moment of doubt, wondering whether his pursuit of rap stardom was leading him down a path to Heaven or hell. Fast-forward a month and change, and we find the South Floridian emcee/producer marching toward his personal promised land with renewed confidence and an ironclad determination to succeed. On promo single Zion, Beatz narrates his ongoing quest for artistic excellence, busting copious shots at his haters along the way. He looks to Lauryn Hill’s classic To Zion for inspiration on the production tip, building his beat around a sample of Santana’s guest guitar solo. Feeling it? While this cut isn’t attached to a larger project, you can stay tuned further details on Mike’s 2013 plans, as well as all the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 01/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.