Like countless other artists, Mike Beatz got his start as a producer, crafting instrumentals for the likes of Capone-n-Noreaga, T-Pain, and Trina, as well as performing as a member of supergroup Monsters Ink (along with Lex One, Dynas, and Streets Buchanon). Now, the Kingston and South Florida dual-representative is getting ready for the release of solo mixtape I’m Thirsty (hosted by DJ Absolut). On the set’s first official leak, Beatz scoops up Black Wall Street‘s top street-teamer, Nu Jerzey Devil. So, what topic does Beatz choose to rap about on his Booth debut? None other than that most “gangsta” of clothing brands, Crooks & Castles! Though Beatz’ rhymes may leave lyrical heads unimpressed, his production prowess is abundantly clear; centered around the first few bars of Nas’ opening verse on Hero, his instrumental is the track’s undeniable highlight. As always, you get to make the final call—should Mike Beatz stay behind the boards, or has he got what it takes to make it in underground rap?
Written by Burmy on 06/30/09
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.