Featured in late June, Mike Beatz’ Crooks met a mixed reception in the Booth; though readers praised the established producer’s street-certified boardwork, many doubted if he could cut it on the mic. Now, Beatz is back on our frontpage with mixtape single 50/50, a track he’s hoping will turn the skeptics into devotees. This time around, the artist takes a decidedly different approach on the mic and behind the boards. Over his own string-heavy, soul-sampled boardwork, Mike expresses gratitude to a female who’s held him down through thick and thin, promising to do the same for her once his grind finally pays off. The theme’s an undeniably fresh one – when’s the last time you heard a guy spit about being financially supported by his girl? – and Beatz’ heartfelt rhymes may change a few minds regarding his prospects as an emcee. If this track’s got you hooked, you’re sure to find more to your liking on Mike Beatz’ DJ Absolut-hosted I’m Thirsty mixtape, set to hit the ‘net this October.
Written by richard on 09/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.