Featured in late June, Mike Beatz’ Crooks met a mixed reception in the Booth; though readers praised the established producer’s street-certified boardwork, many doubted if he could cut it on the mic. Now, Beatz is back on our frontpage with mixtape single 50/50, a track he’s hoping will turn the skeptics into devotees. This time around, the artist takes a decidedly different approach on the mic and behind the boards. Over his own string-heavy, soul-sampled boardwork, Mike expresses gratitude to a female who’s held him down through thick and thin, promising to do the same for her once his grind finally pays off. The theme’s an undeniably fresh one – when’s the last time you heard a guy spit about being financially supported by his girl? – and Beatz’ heartfelt rhymes may change a few minds regarding his prospects as an emcee. If this track’s got you hooked, you’re sure to find more to your liking on Mike Beatz’ DJ Absolut-hosted I’m Thirsty mixtape, set to hit the ‘net this October.
Written by richard on 09/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.