Featured in late June, Mike Beatz’ Crooks met a mixed reception in the Booth; though readers praised the established producer’s street-certified boardwork, many doubted if he could cut it on the mic. Now, Beatz is back on our frontpage with mixtape single 50/50, a track he’s hoping will turn the skeptics into devotees. This time around, the artist takes a decidedly different approach on the mic and behind the boards. Over his own string-heavy, soul-sampled boardwork, Mike expresses gratitude to a female who’s held him down through thick and thin, promising to do the same for her once his grind finally pays off. The theme’s an undeniably fresh one – when’s the last time you heard a guy spit about being financially supported by his girl? – and Beatz’ heartfelt rhymes may change a few minds regarding his prospects as an emcee. If this track’s got you hooked, you’re sure to find more to your liking on Mike Beatz’ DJ Absolut-hosted I’m Thirsty mixtape, set to hit the ‘net this October.
Listen to More: Mike Beatz Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.