Back in October of ‘08, Universal Motown signee Mika Means introduced herself to the Booth with Spend Ya Money, a track that earned largely unfavorable reader reviews thanks in part to the ATL native’s left-of-center, androgynous vocal style. Fast-forward to ‘09 and Mika’s back on our frontpage with the hopefully-named Everybody Knows Me, a buzz cut which finds her ditching the voice box and… rocking a slight weed-smoker’s rasp? After a joint-sparking intro, Means gets down to business, partying the night away over a simmering synth-percussion beat by Meco The Great and offering fellow clubgoers the somewhat dubious advice, “If you ain’t makin’ it then fake it, no matter what the cost is.” Weezy F. takes over on the back end, capping the track off with a little game-spitting and a dash of off-kilter wordplay. So, does Mika Means’ distinctive brand of club-pop sound fresher the second time around (and a year later)? If you think so, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on her forthcoming studio album, which has yet to receive a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 10/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spend Ya Money" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)