Back in October of ‘08, Universal Motown signee Mika Means introduced herself to the Booth with Spend Ya Money, a track that earned largely unfavorable reader reviews thanks in part to the ATL native’s left-of-center, androgynous vocal style. Fast-forward to ‘09 and Mika’s back on our frontpage with the hopefully-named Everybody Knows Me, a buzz cut which finds her ditching the voice box and… rocking a slight weed-smoker’s rasp? After a joint-sparking intro, Means gets down to business, partying the night away over a simmering synth-percussion beat by Meco The Great and offering fellow clubgoers the somewhat dubious advice, “If you ain’t makin’ it then fake it, no matter what the cost is.” Weezy F. takes over on the back end, capping the track off with a little game-spitting and a dash of off-kilter wordplay. So, does Mika Means’ distinctive brand of club-pop sound fresher the second time around (and a year later)? If you think so, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on her forthcoming studio album, which has yet to receive a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 10/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spend Ya Money" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.