Back in October of ‘08, Universal Motown signee Mika Means introduced herself to the Booth with Spend Ya Money, a track that earned largely unfavorable reader reviews thanks in part to the ATL native’s left-of-center, androgynous vocal style. Fast-forward to ‘09 and Mika’s back on our frontpage with the hopefully-named Everybody Knows Me, a buzz cut which finds her ditching the voice box and… rocking a slight weed-smoker’s rasp? After a joint-sparking intro, Means gets down to business, partying the night away over a simmering synth-percussion beat by Meco The Great and offering fellow clubgoers the somewhat dubious advice, “If you ain’t makin’ it then fake it, no matter what the cost is.” Weezy F. takes over on the back end, capping the track off with a little game-spitting and a dash of off-kilter wordplay. So, does Mika Means’ distinctive brand of club-pop sound fresher the second time around (and a year later)? If you think so, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on her forthcoming studio album, which has yet to receive a title or a solid release date.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spend Ya Money" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.